Studying abroad

Are you interested in studying abroad? You can find out more about the different opportunities here .

On this website you will find all the information on the ERASMUS programmes offered in our field of study. Please read the information carefully. If you have further questions, please turn to the departmental coordinators of our field of study.

Please make sure you also read the International Office's checklist and information sheet carefully as they provide important general information. You can find these lists on the right ("Quick Info").

Contents of this website

  1. Places
  2. Requirements
  3. Application Deadlines
  4. Application Procedure
  5. Course Choice and Learning Agreement
  6. Course recognition

1. Places

Erasmus stays can only be done at those universities our field of study has an agreement with. For an overview of the partneruniversities (including links to their websites) click here. You can search for available places in our field of study in this list. (Choose Nederlandistik in the field 'Studienrichtung'.)

The following partner universities offer a study place in the Netherlands and in Belgium: Universiteit Antwerpen, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, Universiteit Leiden, Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen und Université catholique de Louvain.

If you are interested in a stay in the Central European region (obligatory for DCC-track-students!), then you can choose from following universities: Masarykova Univerzita (CZ), Univerzita Palackého v Olomouci (CZ), Universita Komenského v Bratislave (SK), Károli Gáspár Református Egyetem (HU), Debreceni Református Hittudmányi Egyetem (HU) und Uniwersytet Wroclawski (PL).

2. Requirements

The ERASMUS programme aims at regular students of the University of Vienna who have completed at least two semesters in the relevant field of study by the start of their ERASMUS stay.

We generally recommend the ERASMUS stay not earlier than after having completed the STEOP-phase.

Language certificate

For all non-German-speaking partner universities a language certificate which is not older than four years is required for the application. Students of philological degrees as well as Translation Studies (Translationswissenschaft) do not have to provide a certificate if applying for a place within one of afore mentioned degrees. If, however, the host university demands a language certificate for the application, it has to be provided even by students of philological degrees and students of Translation Studies.

Take into account that a language certificate in the respective national language is required for francophone universities in Belgium and Switzerland and all partner universities in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Universities outside anglophone or Romance-speaking countries (e.g. Scandinavian or Eastern European countries) usually demand English language certificates. Please also make sure that the host university offers a sufficient amount of suitable courses in English.

The proof of an adequate language level has to be provided by the time of application. If applying for several countries with different language requirements, several certificates may be required.

Further information on this topic can be found here.

3. Application deadlines

Places for the winter semester, for the summer semester and for the whole academic year are assigned during the main application phase. Any remaining available places for the summer semester are assigned during a second phase in autumn. 

There are no earlier deadlines for the application at our department. The application dates can be found on the website of the International Office. Available places will be announced mid/end of January, the remaining places mid-September here.

4. Application Procedure

There are several steps to be completed during the application. The International Office provides detailed information on their website and during information sessions.

Application to the departmental coordinator

You need to submit your application to the departmental coordinator. The following documents are required:

  • Transcript of records
  • CV
  • Letter of motivation

Please submit the application documents to the departmental coordinator per email.

Selection criteria:
1.    Formal qualifications are fulfilled
2.    Academic achievements and progress
3.    Contents and argumentation in your letter of motivation


If your application has been accepted by the departmental coordinator, they will nominate you for an ERASMUS stay. The students who have been nominated will be contacted by the International Office via email informing them about the documents and forms that they will have to submit.

5. Course Choice and Learning Agreement

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement informs your host university about the courses and the amount of ECTS credits you are going to take during your stay. Detailed information on the Learning Agreement can be found here.

Please gather information on the course offer at your host university, compare their study plan to ours and talk to the departmental coordinator about the courses you will be taking. Have the Learning Agreement signed by your study programme director ("Studienprogrammleitung").

You'll have to find out when the Learning Agreement has to be submitted to your host university. It lies within your responsibility that the host university receives the Learning Agreement in time (most universities require the document as part of the application procedure). Should the host university not require the learning agreement for your application/registration, please take it with you and discuss the courses with the local International Office upon your arrival.

ETCS and courses

In general, students should obtain 30 ECTS credits during an ERASMUS semester. In order to be eligible for the ERASMUS grant, a minimum of 3 ECTS per month recognised at the University of Vienna is required. Should these minimum requirements not be met, students have to repay the grant. 

Should you do research for your Master Thesis or PhD Thesis during your ERASMUS stay, this is stated in the Learning Agreement by the title of the thesis and the signature of your supervisor. You shouldn't have to take any classes in this case, however, many host universities will want you to take one or two classes anyway.

Please find out which courses incoming students are allowed to take at your host university. In order to make the course choice easier, it is recommended saving optional courses (freie Wahlfächer/Alternative Erweiterungen) for the ERASMUS stay. There are no particular requirements regarding your course choice on our part.

Changes to the Learning Agreement

In most cases, the course catalogue for your ERASMUS semester will not be published before a few weeks before the semester start. Since you have to submit your ERASMUS application a lot earlier than that, it is understandable if you need to make some changes to your course programme later on. Please inform the study programme director about any changes to your Learning Agreement as soon as possible. This is the only way to make sure that your choices will be recognized after your return.

How you make changes to your Learning Agreement is explained here. Please also find out how the matter is addressed at your host university. Once the Learning Agreement is signed by all parties, please send a copy to the International Office via email.

6. Course recognition

After your ERASMUS stay you'll have to complete the form "Antrag auf Anerkennung" with your study programme director, so that the credits can be transferred to your study programme in Vienna. You will also need a transcript of records from the host university to do this. Please hand in a copy of the signed form, the signed Learning Agreement and the transcript of records at the International Office.

Further advice on course recognition:

  • Please ALWAYS discuss the courses that you are doing abroad with your study programme director (including changes to the course programme).
  • Credit transfer/course recognition is usually easier for optional courses ("Wahlfächer" - diploma study programme or "Alternative Erweiterungen" - BA/MA), than for compulsory courses. It is therefore advisable to save at least some of these courses for your ERASMUS stay.